This article needs to be updated.January 2021)(
Patrick Paul Gelsinger is an American business executive who will begin serving as CEO of Intel on February 15, 2021. He previously served as CEO of VMWare for a decade, and as president and chief operating officer at EMC. Before joining EMC, he was the first Chief Technology Officer of Intel, previously senior vice president and general manager of the Digital Enterprise Group at Intel, before leaving after working there for more than three decades.
Life and education
Gelsinger grew up on a farm in an Amish part of Pennsylvania. He began working at Intel as a quality-control technician in 1979, at age 18. While at Intel, he earned a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering at Santa Clara University in 1983, and a master's degree from Stanford University in 1985.
Gelsinger was the architect of the original Intel 80486 processor. As CTO of Intel he also launched the conference Intel Developer Forum as a counterpart to Microsoft's WinHEC. In September 2009, he left Intel to join EMC.
In late 2012 some industry analysts named Gelsinger as a possible successor to Steve Ballmer as CEO of Microsoft.
Intel announced the appointment of Gelsinger as their new CEO on January 13, 2021, effective February 15. A letter sent from shareholder and activist investor Dan Loeb of Third Point Management to the board calling on Intel to hire an investment adviser to recuperate the company's lagging market share came before Gelsinger's return.
In 2013, Gelsinger cofounded Transforming the Bay with Christ (TBC), a coalition of business leaders, venture capitalists, non-profit leaders and pastors aiming to convert one million people over the next decade.
- Fitch, Asa (13 January 2021). "Intel Ousts CEO Bob Swan". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 14 January 2021.
- Business, Jordan Valinsky and Clare Duffy, CNN. "Intel ousts CEO and names successor". CNN. Retrieved 2021-01-14.
- "Note from Pat Gelsinger to Intel". Intel Newsroom. Retrieved 2021-01-14.
- Pressman, Aaron (13 January 2021). "Who is Intel's new CEO, Pat Gelsinger". Fortune. Retrieved 15 January 2021.
- "Executive shuffle at Intel: Pat Gelsinger leaves to join EMC". The Mercury News. 2009-09-14. Retrieved 2019-08-06.
- Kevin McLaughlin (December 13, 2013), "Microsoft CEO Drama Intensifies As VMware, Qualcomm Execs Surface As Candidates", Computer Reseller News
- Kara Swisher (December 11, 2013), "With Microsoft CEO Race in Home Stretch and Mulally Fading, Here's My Dark-Horse Pick: VMware's Gelsinger", All Things D, The Wall Street Journal
- Ed McKernan (December 13, 2013), "Will Microsoft Hire Pat Gelsinger And Merge Wintel?", Seeking Alpha (online)
- "Intel Appoints Tech Industry Leader Pat Gelsinger as New CEO". Intel. 2021-01-13.
- Klett, Leah MarieAnn. "Christianity in Silicon Valley: Meet the movement transforming the San Francisco Bay area with Christ". The Christian Post. Retrieved 19 January 2021.
- Brigham, Katie (2018-11-10). "Religious leaders are trying to get more Bay Area residents to church — and they're using tech marketing tactics in their quest". CNBC. Retrieved 2020-12-22.