|Meaning||"Graceful", "Inexhaustible", "Rhythm"/"Melody", "Eye"/"Sight"|
|See also||Hannah, Anna, Áine|
Anya is a feminine given name. It is a unisex name in several African and European countries, as well as India and Russia and has also been used as a surname.
Origins and variant forms
- Anya (Аня) is a Russian diminutive of Anna.
- Ania is the spelling in Polish, which is also a diminutive of Anna.
- The spelling Anja is common in Croatian, Norwegian, Danish, German, Swedish, Finnish, Dutch, Afrikaans, Slovenian, Macedonian, Montenegrin, Bosnian, Serbian and Kurdish.
- Áine is the Irish spelling of the name.
- Ania is an old Kurdish name. It means "Strength" or "Power".
- Anya is a Hungarian word for "mother".
- Anya is a Nigerian Igbo name, and also word for "eye."
- Anya (ⴰⵏⵢⴰ) is an Amazigh/Berber name. It means " Rhythm " or " Melody " in Berber languages.[better source needed]
People with the given name Anya
- Anya Ayoung-Chee (born 1981), former Miss Trinidad and Tobago and winner of season 9 of Project Runway
- Anya Chalotra (born 1996), British actress of Indian origin
- Anya Corke (born 1990), Woman Grandmaster and the top female chess player in Hong Kong
- Anya Gallaccio (born 1963), British artist
- Anya Garnis (born 1982), Siberian Ballroom and Latin Dancer
- Anya Hindmarch (born 1968), British fashion designer
- Anya Kamenetz (born 1980), American writer and journalist
- Anya Lahiri (born 1982), British singer
- Anja Ringgren Lovén (born 1978), Danish charity worker
- Anya Major (born 1966), athlete, actress, model and singer
- Anya Marina (born 1976), American singer-songwriter
- Anya Monzikova (born 1984), Russian-American model and actress
- Anya Rozova (born 1989), fashion model, runner-up in America's Next Top Model under the name Anya Kop
- Anya Schiffrin (born 1962), international business professor at Columbia University
- Anya Seton (1904–1990), author of historical romances
- Anya Shrubsole (born 1991), cricketer for Somerset and England
- Anya Taranda (1915–1970), American model
- Anya Taylor-Joy (born 1996), Argentinian-British actress
- Anya Teixeira (1913–1992), Ukrainian-born British street photographer
People with the given name Anja
- Anja Andersen (born 1969), Danish handball player
- Anja Blacha (born 1990), German mountaineer
- Anja Garbarek (born 1970), Norwegian musician
- Anja Hammerseng-Edin (born 1983), Norwegian handball player
- Anja Hazekamp (born 1968), Dutch politician
- Anja Pärson (born 1981), Swedish alpine skier
- Anja Plaschg (born 1990), alias Soap&Skin, Austrian musician
- Anja Rubik (born 1983), Polish fashion model
- Anja Steinlechner, Austrian-American musician
- Anja Spasojević (born 1983), Serbian volleyball player
- Anja Spiegelman, author Art Spiegelman's mother in the graphic novel Maus
People with the given name Ania
- Anya, daughter of the Marvel Comics character Magneto
- Anya, or Princess Ann, a character in the film Roman Holiday
- Anya, or Princess Anastasia, protagonist of the 1997 film Anastasia
- Anya, a character in the video game Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
- Anya, a character in the video game Project I.G.I.
- Anya (Star Trek), a character in the television series Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Anya Jenkins, a character in the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Anya, a character in the manga series Negima!
- Anya Alstreim, character in the anime series Code Geass
- Anya, a character in the television series The 100
- Anya Amasova, a character in the film The Spy Who Loved Me
- Anya Borzakovskaya, a character in the graphic novel Anya's Ghost
- Anya Claus, a character in the film Santa Claus: The Movie
- Anya Corazon, a character in Marvel Comics
- Anya Forger, a character in the manga series Spy × Family
- Anya Hepburn, a character in the manga series Soul Eater Not!
- Anya MacPherson in the television series Degrassi: The Next Generation
- Anya Oliwa, a character in the video game Wolfenstein: The New Order
- Anya Stroud, a character in the video game Gears of War
- Ania Williams, a character in the soap opera Family Affairs
People with the surname Anya
- Ikechi Anya (born 1988), Scottish professional footballer